Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nothing Else to Do

Yesterday was a really busy day. I don't remember what time it was exactly when I woke up, but not too soon after I did wake up, Stephen asked me if I wanted to come to the gym with Jerry. We don't own gym memberships, but I figured it wouldn't be that hard to get into a gym for a one time gig with no loss of money. When we got the 24 hour fitness (which Jerry is a member to), Stephen handed a little couple that he got at a street fair during the beginning of the summer to the front desk. It said something like, "Ask Brian about a free two week trial at 24 hour fitness!". Stephen and I thought that they would just let us in for free, but instead the front desk guy said, "Oh your in luck, Brian is here today." Fuck. Seriously Fuck. They made us fill out a form with all our information (I didn't think about it until later in the day that it must have looked weird that Stephen Hubbard lived at 3218 Cheryl Cir, while Ben Hubbard lived at 3975 Olive Dr). Brain ended up giving us a 45 minute tour of the gym. He thought we just joking when we asked if we could get some free time in the tanning machine, but guess what Brian, we were not joking. Anyways we ended up giving him the line, "We were actually gonna try out alot of other gyms before we committed to a single gym". I'm sure he has heard that line a million times, but just in case we were legit, he scheduled an appointment with us next Tuesday at 11:30.... What!?!?! is he crazy? Just see through our bullshit and realize we just want to workout for one time. Seriously, yeesh. Lol but it's his job to try and get as many membership sign ups, so I do think he did do a good job trying; too bad Stephen and I were lost causes.

Brian: "So do you guys play any sports"
Stephen: "Yea, we play Ultimate Frisbee"
Brian: "Huh what?"
Stephen: "Ultimate Frisbee"
Brian: "Ohhhhh yea, you can definitely get a good workout here"

I fucking don't like dumbells. If there are machines in one area while dumbells in another, I'll usually stay completely in the machine section. I like how the machines will work single muscles, or an area on the body. Most of them I can do sitting down and concentrating on that single area of my body. They even have little signs on them describing what muscles are being worked on that machine. Dumbells just work your upperbody, and even then I'm never sure if I'm doing the exercise exactly right to maximize muscle gain and minimize strain. I can still get a full body workout if I have it in my head that I have certain machines that I need to do. I also love doing the eliptical machine and stair master. The eliptical machine makes me feel like I'm experiencing how robots walk/run. I'm almost 100% certain that eliptical machines will be the transportation of the future. Then the stair master makes me feel so badass. It will get my sweating so much that sweat drips down my face, then falls onto the steps. Then what do I do, I keep walking right over it. The stair master makes me feel like I'm able to concur pain while still moving up and up. It's also great because it puts me up really high up so I get a great view of everyone (ladies) else working out cardiovascuclarly.

We got home around 1 and I took a shower. Stephen and Jerry made some lunch for themselves, and when I got out of the shower I made myself a tuna fish sandwich and a bagel. Tuna fish is like a drug to me. I couldn't image not living in a house without tuna fish. It so quick, easy, and practical. It goes into sandwiches most of the time which makes it delicious, and it's got protein which makes me happy. The bagel and cream cheese was ok too. I ate both of those while watching another "It's always sunny in philedelphia" on Hulu.

At 2:30 I drove out to 7-11 to pick up some protein bars and a gaterade. Then drove to Sunol where the Foothill Ultimate Club was going to run up the ridge. I had run up the ridge with Karan and Eric Ling three times during the summer, and it would pretty fun, but it was quite a physical challange so I wanted to see how everyone would hold up. They ended up only going halfway up the mountain than what I've usually done, but that was ok and everyone did great. Eric and Thoe were always at the front of the pack with me trailing behind (I was cramping from my lunch). There was this one time where I pissed my name onto the trial right before everyone was about to run over it. Some people got angry at me, but they could stay mad at me because c'mon, writing your name in pee is pretty cool.

Got home around 5 from doing that, and I was really tired. But I had LPC practice tonight with Jake, and I couldn't give up now. I did go to the store instead of showing up to do drills, so when I got to practice around 7:10, they were just about to start playing. Perfect. It was rediculously windy and cold at the field, so my throws were complete shit. I ended up throwing more turnovers that completed passes. I felt kinda bad, but I still wanted to keep playing. We played 4 different games hardcapped at five. The dark team (my team) lost all of them. This meant that after each game we had to do sprints.

This surprised the shit out of me. I thought that I was exhausted and gonna be one of the last people crossing the line. But I constantly was the second person to cross the line (to taylor lahey) on long sprints, or the first person to cross the line on short suicides. Are you seriously, did I seriously just become the fastest person on the team. Did I somehow increase my speed from all the workouts I've been doing currently. It felt good and I just wanted to keep running. That's exactly what I did and I felt amazing. Last night at practice, I did score a single goal which is odd for me, but I did end up having two good layouts which I'm happy about. The first layout was through Dave (another guy with height) to catch a throw Karan threw to me when he thought I was cutting in when I began cutting deep. The second layout was to try and catch (but miss) a throw from Bob which was to far to my left, but I still layedout from a full sprint to try and get it. Oh, and I also D'd Zip in his endzone while unintentionally giving him kneeing him in the stomach. I jumped without knowing anything about my surroundings, I tip'd it while Zip jumped right into my knee. This made me flip over and slide on the turf about 4 yards while scraping my lower back and hitting my head. I felt so pumped up that I hardly felt it, and Zip was ok afterward too which is good. In the end, I felt amazing about my body from the entire day. I wasn't even tired or exhausted at In-N-Out afterwards.

Moral of the story: exercising your body when you have nothing else to do is alot better than just sitting around the house moping all day. Mise well right?

My goal is to get a heart rate in the 40's sometime this year. That would be legit. I'll document it here with a cell phone pic when I do achive that goal.

No comments: